My experience doing a cycle with Psyllium Husk by Marisa Arruda Barbosa
-Psyllium Husk is a herb that works as a “little broom” and cleans your colon.--
Did you know that we carry 2 to 20 quilograms of poop in our colon, sometimes for all of our lives? Since I heard about that I started taking many actions to be nicer with my colon! First: I sopped eating read meat and being extra careful with the others. Second: I started researching about forms of doing a colon cleanse.
That’s how I came across Psyllium Husk Fiber and since very few people know about it, I wanted to share my own experience to help you in your own journey.
I heard great things about flushing the colon, too, and might try it some day. But I also am afraid of flushing too much and have imbalances in my flora – and that is no good especially for girls!
About the herb & the doctor who influenced me:
Paulo Yamaçake is a Brazilian health practitioner that my cousin has been taking courses with. Among all his interesting teachings, I decided to follow the Psyllium Husk 10-day cycle. Here is his Website if you want to get in touch with him: www.manualhumano.com.br
Psyllium Husk is an herb from India – or Europe, not sure – and we actually take only it’s skin. You can find in pills and powder. Paulo suggests that we take the powder – just to add to the experience, since the consistence is quite unique!
It’s really important to follow some rules when you take it though, so do your research and ask your health practitioner if that’s right for you. What happens when you take it, is that it swells in contact with water. When you mix it in water, you will see how it turns into a gelatin quickly, so you are supposed to take it immediately. You are supposed to take Psyllium with AT LEAST 8oz of water but I took it with 16oz. Why? Because you can choke! So, really read all the rules. I didn’t have any problems with it - be careful but not scared. There are different theories as when to take it. Paulo says we should take after meals, but it makes you really feeling full. I asked him later and he said that we could take it before meals if the goal is to loose weight too – always a good bonus! Because it will make you eat less.
The 10-day cycle is:
Dosage: 1 tablespoon of psyllium husk in at least 8oz of water
Day 1 – take before lunch
Day 2 – take before breakfast and lunch
From day 3 to day 8 – take before breakfast, lunch and dinner
Day 9 – do like day 2
Day 10 – do like day 1.
- Allow more time to go to the bathroom. It’s not going to give you diarrhea or cramps, but it will make you go more times a day to the bathroom.
- You have to go to the bathroom at least once a day. If not, stop taking and start over when you get regular.
- You have to take at least 2 liters of water a day – otherwise the fiber might get stuck in your colon.
In the first days it is common to feel bloated, which is actually the toxins. It even gave me heartburn as if I had eaten too much, (like the feeling on a Christmas Eve!) After a few days you get used to it.
I read in a blog about a 3-month cleansing with Psyllium. But Paulo says he is against conditioning our colon to get used to work only with certain things.
My colon has been always like that. So even after only a 10-day cycle, I was afraid that would happen to me, but it didn’t. I’ve been really regular ever since and can notice my skin is brighter and I feel lighter!
We all look for our own paths to a healthy life. So, this is really my experience and personal research. I hope I can help you finding yours, too!
Dr. Hiromi Shinya’s videos about our colon:
Do you want to see some crazy videos? Watch Dr. Hiromi Shinya on Youtube, about the health of different intestines according to the life style. For the first time, I really decided to stop eating red meat.
We all need a click: some people have it just because of animal cruelty, but I easily convinced myself that I’m an O-type blood, so I need meet. But as a virgo, I started to imagine all that meat clogged in my colon.
Durig detox process some might feel weak in the beginning, some develop skin harshes, others bad humor, headache... it's all part of the release of toxins.
I knew that this was not the best time to do it, because I am still in the process of readapting, but I wanted to strength my mind going through it. And I did, but in the second day, I felt that my immune system was weak, so I got a spoon of raw honey (the only sugar I've had during detox, and just one spoon a day in the morning) with powdered propolis.
Here are some of the propolis benefit:
1. Antibiotic - Researchers in Brazil found that propolis has the ability to kill different strains of the infectious bacteria Salmonella. Antifungal properties have also been reported for propolis.
2. Anti-tumor - Researchers in Japan found that propolis significantly reduces the growth of lung tumors.
3. Anti-plaque - Due to its antibacterial properties, propolis may also protect against dental plaque and cavities. It may be used as an ingredient in natural toothpastes as well as oral gels.
4. Anti-inflammatory - Scientific studies suggest that propolis affects the immune system and acts as a powerful natural anti-inflammatory agent when applied to the skin.
5. Emollient - Several studies show that propolis may be effective in treating skin burns and other skin conditions.
Propolis has also been used as in ingredient in toothpastes, throat sprays, burn creams, face creams, and other skincare products.
As a Yogini, I am around healthy eating habits, different diets and trendy holistic/ alternative treatments. I've done one day juicing or fasting a couple of times, but just now I decided to do my first detox.
While in California, I had the chance to be closer to my friend and holistic chiropractor, dr. Patricia Lotufo (from Linea Chiropractic) and her partner, dr. Rachel Richards (Harmony Healthy Chiropractic), and because of them, I got familiar with the importance of detoxifying the body.
Even though I have a healthy eating routine, without white flour, red meat and pork, fried and canned food, cow milk, and GMO; I am very tempted by sugar, and have been drinking more coffee than usual.
Besides that, I'm going thru a process of readapting and releasing things that cause stress, and there's also the daily polution to the body while going to restaurantes, having snacks at the street, usual habits that all of us have. I believe that the detox will get me mental strength and focus for my goals.
During this seven day detox I decided to cut sugar, alcohol, soy, dairy and coffee. I am eating two-thirds of my food raw, and plenty of herbal tea with spices, especially turmeric.
Check this article about the benefits of it:
The only sugar I’m taking is one big spoon of raw honey a day (I ate a few raisins in the first day, but them stopped- dried fruit has sugar! Not allowed!).
The first couple of days I drank two cups of green tea per day, then just decaff herbal tea.
My tips on the steps to detox:
1. To be familiar with your body and what you should or not eat to balance it. I follow the Ayurvedic Medicine, so the dosha test below is the first step I do and recommend:
2. After knowing the answer, google about your body type, know the foods you should take or avoid, and from there, choose the ones allowed that you prefer to use during the detox. To consider that a detox, you MUST cut dairy, sugar, coffee, alcohol, and the only flour or milk you should take is the rice based. Regarding meat, I recommend just wild caught fish after three days with just vegetables, some grains and fruits.
3. My technique to keep strong during detox is to be organized on the fridge. I hide all food I won’t be able to eat in a drawer and make different containers with meal and snacks portions for the next 2 or 3 days. I was supposed to juice too, but since I recently moved and the house is not yet ready with appliances, I decided to just eat the vegetables.
4. The base of my detox is having at least 6 glasses of tea per day. The first two days I drank two glasses of green tea (because of caffeine and to speed metabolism), and everyday I drink herbal teas (boldo or Cachamai herbal tea, and chamomile before sleep) for the stomach.
First thing in the morning: drink a big glass of water with a squeezed lime and a dash of turmeric.
Recipe to drink once a day: Chop a piece of ginger and put to boil with water in low temperature, after 1min boiling, let it sit, squeeze half of a lime (or lemon), put a dash of turmeric, a small cinnamon stick and drink hot. If your immune system is low, you can add pieces of garlic to be boiled with the ginger.
Stay tuned; in a couple of days I will post more recipes and meal suggestions!
Feel free to contact me in case you need help!
And please, let’s share experience and post questions at Sanatura page on Facebook, so everyone can learn and benefit from healthy habits! www.facebook.com/sanatura